Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm One Eighth Done?!

The title is not false: In a matter of a week, I will be on eighth done with my college career. It is not that I am anxiously awaiting this, either. In fact, I am quite enjoying my time as a poor college student. Nevertheless, I cannot help but notice how quickly this is going by.

As the Spring Semester approaches, some changes have taken place in my educational priorities. For example, the most significant would probably be my change in majors. I was previously a Psychology major with a concentration in Elementary Education; I am now a double Theatre and English major with a Creative Writing minor.

Contrary to what I should hope no one would think, this has nothing to do with my sister's BA in English. In fact, I would have preferred to be just a Theatre major, but then the question rises of what will I do with this in "the real world"? I am really not banking on acting professionally. With an English major and a Theatre major, I have many options, including Education.

I am somewhat disappointed that I will not be pursuing Psychology, however. Since I had had no previous experience in this subject pre-college, it was a new and interesting topic, and it continues to intrigue me now that I have a little knowledge of it. Regardless, there is little in the field of Psychology that I would ever wish to continue with as a career option.

My strongest reason for switching my majors is my never-ending passion for Theatre. In high school, theatre was a mere after-school activity to which I loved dedicating most of my time. Now, my passion can be transformed into classes where I can excel in doing what I love. What better reason could there possibly be than this?

Therefore, as I approach my week of final exams, I eagerly await my two theatre class that I will be taking next semester, as well as the play in which I am acting. The Boot and Buskin (faculty-directed) show is "Emma's Child", which is a more depressing version of Juno. There is a cast of eleven, as well as an understudy cast of another eleven. I was fortunate enough to be cast in the lead cast--the only freshman! (Not to brag, but I am quite proud of this!) Our show is in mid-February.

For other updates in Spring Semester, I will keep the blog up-to-date.

No comments:

Post a Comment