Sunday, August 30, 2009

...And Then I Moved In.

It is official. I have moved in at my new home--Le Moyne College.

The road here was bumpy. We knew that departing from the house by 4:30 am would be no simple task, but it ended up being the reason my day did not go smoothly. In fact, I hardly want to remember the first half of it! Due to summer activities back in RI, I had not been going to bed before 2 am. Therefore, it was exceedingly difficult to fall asleep that fateful Saturday morning. In actuality, I did not fall asleep. Instead, I tossed and turned as my mind refused to stop ticking away, until I realized my efforts were futile.

I arose and dressed and found that my parents were just waking up. And so my real day began. I slept for about an hour in the van on the way. It was not easy, considering all of my belongings prevented us from reclining our chairs. And then the nausea set in. We shall call it nerves.

I was restless and felt sick for most of the day. Move-in was a blur for several reasons:

1. The move-in Orientation Crew were amazingly quick at delivering my things from the van to my third floor room. In fact, they beat me to the room. It was like magic!

2. Though I acted social and personable as I walking into my residence hall for the first time, I literally shook as I filled out their information sheet. I was so nervous. My eyes were darting around the room at all the strangers, and I just could not keep still.

3. I continued to feel sick as we unpacked boxes, and my lovely sister and mother did a good portion of the work for me. I needed to sit down and breathe! It was very overwhelming.

I failed to re-gain my normal personality until I took an hour-long nap around dinner time. I felt so sick I could not even eat. So I slept it off, and woke up feeling quite refreshed and ready to face the evening's activities, which ended up being really fun.

My roommate is the perfect roommate for me! We both share many, many interests, and even some classes. We had no problem setting up our room the way we wanted, and it is truly a sight to see. We are quite proud of its colorful beauty. We have spent most of our time here together thus far, including tonight's activities, which were a hall meeting and fireworks. While attending the former, we met many fellow participants in the Performing Arts Learning Community. These outgoing new friends sat with us for the fireworks, and we all came back to our residence hall together and relaxed in the basement together.

Our basement is quite amazing. It has got a bit television, a very loud juke box-type music player, the kind of video games where you sit in the chair and control whatever is on the screen, a pool table, and tons of comfortable chairs. Even though it was only 10, we ended up back in our rooms after a short amount of time.

I fail to think of much more, though a post will follow in the next few days about my classes, which start tomorrow. Peace, loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment